Northumberland: Natures Realm
Delightful uplands and charming coastlines, Northumberland offers an eclectic mix of scenery and wildlife. Explore the valleys and the sea, taking in breath-taking landscapes and magical wildlife encounters along the way.
|Day 1||Meet Newcastle; travel to accommodation through the Northumberland National Park|
|Day 2-5||Explore Northumberland (including Northumberland National Park & Coastal AONB, Kielder NNR, and Holy Island)|
|Day 6||Return to Newcastle by 3pm|
Dates and Prices
1st – 6th June 2019
£1200pp including accommodation, food, and travel while on the tour.
Contact us to arrange bespoke tour dates and prices.
- Enjoy excursions to the Farne Islands with the chance to see Dolphins, Porpoise and Seals from the boat. During the summer, experience the energy and noise of breeding seabird colonies (Puffins, Guillemots, and Razorbills to name a few!) and mingle with the dive-bombing, Arctic Terns for an unforgettable encounter
- Professionally guided, evening bat walks using hand-held bat detectors to hear (and hopefully see!) a range of different species (May – September only)
- Journey to Holy Island with free time to explore the historical landmark (plus an optional wildlife sea watch) and the chance to catch up with seasonal migrant birds
- Full day tour of the Cheviot Hills and surrounding valleys for opportunities to encounter an array of bird species from Dipper to Red Grouse (and possibly an elusive Cheviot Goat!)
- Visit some of the rarest breeding birds in the country – Little Tern and Roseate Tern – with trips to colonies for both species (summer only)
- Travel along one of the best coastlines in the UK and explore the Northumberland Coast’s Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, stopping off along prime wildlife hotspots
- Relish the chance to see a variety of birds of prey and owls from the extraordinarily swift Peregrine Falcon to the graceful Barn Owl. During the breeding season, encounter Osprey at Kielder National Nature Reserve and Marsh Harrier along the coast
Some parts of the tour will include walking from the minibus to selected sites. All walks are low impact and are suitable for all fitness levels. N.B. Walks around Northumberland National Park for upland species require some walking on rough and uneven terrain where a level of good mobility and balance is required. Appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear is essential!
All tours are led by professional ecologists providing a unique insight and a vast knowledge of natural history.