Durham Dales Explorer
Explore and enjoy the serenity of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty while stopping off along prime wildlife hotspots
|Day 1||Meet Durham; travel to accommodation through picturesque countryside|
|Day 2-4||Explore Durham Dales (including both Weardale & Teesdale and surrounding areas)|
|Day 5||Return to Durham by 3pm|
Dates and Prices
£1000pp including accommodation, food, and travel while on the tour.
Contact us to arrange bespoke tour dates and prices.
- Explore and enjoy the serenity of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty while stopping off along prime wildlife hotspots
- Experience a not-to-be missed Black Grouse lek in the heart of their English stronghold where 80% of the population reside
- Professionally guided, evening bat walks using hand-held bat detectors to hear (and hopefully see!) a range of different species (May – September only)
- Visit friendly Red Squirrels for a close encounter at possibly the best location in the North of England to see them
- Relish the chance to see a variety of birds of prey and owls from the extraordinarily swift Peregrine Falcon to the graceful Barn Owl
- Full day tours of the Weardale, Teesdale and surrounding areas for opportunities to encounter an array of moorland bird species from Ring Ouzel to Red Grouse
- Opportunities to enjoy the areas botanical finery with guided introductions to the areas plant life from a professional botanist
- Chance encounters with reptiles from Common Lizard to Adders with well-timed visits to basking grounds
Some parts of the tour will include walking from the minibus to selected sites. All walks are low impact and are suitable for all fitness levels. N.B. Walks around Weardale and Teesdale for upland species require some walking on rough and uneven terrain where a level of good mobility and balance is required. Appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear is essential!
All tours are led by professional ecologists providing a unique insight and a vast knowledge of natural history.